Sunday, April 11, 2010

So what's the difference between an advice thread and a ';life story'; t

I'm posting this 90% for the future girl-help threads of OT, and 10% out of curiosity.A topic I was reading just got locked because it was deemed ''life story''.''Is the topic I'm making my life story?
Gamespot has this cool feature called 'Blogs.' Use them.''-The almighty rules.So what separates advice from a life story, according to gamespot?I mean, one would not write into an advice column saying ''I like this girl, what do I do''. That is most definately NOT a life story right there, but it also contributes to a gigantic fail, seeing as your problem won't really be understood without some background info (IE: life story..or just background info?) and some details to assist the advice-giver(s) in giving quality advice.I understand that rambling on about how your pancakes being cold this morning ruined your day and your girlfriend dumped you and your mom said you're moving to India next week, and then throwing in a ''what do I do'' at the end would validate a lock, because basically that's a blog.But if I instead tell you a few very related, detailed events that give valuable information to you in order to tell me what your advice on the subject is, should that not be allowed?Thoughts, plz.So what's the difference between an advice thread and a ';life story'; t
Blog it! /sarcasm

Really, i'd love to know why threads asking for advice are now considered ''blog material''.So what's the difference between an advice thread and a ';life story'; t
Depends on the mod I guess. I've seen threads on here go on for pages now that used to get locked.....while mods are active here.
Moderator discretion, love it or leave it. :?
Advice threads which tell you things which are irrelevant or ones where you have no discussion/answer themselves should be blogged.
While I appreciate it's difficult to draw the line, having seen that thread I think it was a bit OTT. If you don't have many friends on gamespot and few people will see your blog and comment and you really need some advice then there really is no other way. I personally don't consider what that member posted as a 'life story' but it's moderator discretion, can't do anything to stop it.
It would all depend on how whiney someone sounds. If there really in trouble and need advice. OT would be quicker than seeking professional help. There's a lot of smart people here so I don't wonder why people ask for advice here.
[QUOTE=''Mikey132'']It would all depend on how whiney someone sounds. If there really in trouble and need advice. OT would be quicker than seeking professional help. There's a lot of smart people here so I don't wonder why people ask for advice here.[/QUOTE]I would not take any advice offered here were it me.....
[QUOTE=''LJS9502_basic''][QUOTE=''Mikey132'']It would all depend on how whiney someone sounds. If there really in trouble and need advice. OT would be quicker than seeking professional help. There's a lot of smart people here so I don't wonder why people ask for advice here.[/QUOTE]I would not take any advice offered here were it me.....[/QUOTE]Trusting your fellow man is the first step you need to work on.
[QUOTE=''Mikey132''][QUOTE=''LJS9502_basic''][QUOTE=''Mikey132'']It would all depend on how whiney someone sounds. If there really in trouble and need advice. OT would be quicker than seeking professional help. There's a lot of smart people here so I don't wonder why people ask for advice here.[/QUOTE]I would not take any advice offered here were it me.....[/QUOTE]Trusting your fellow man is the first step you need to work on.[/QUOTE]I trust those that have the credentials......not forum users.;)
Hey! I think that was my topic.Thanks for posting this, anyway. I was wondering the same thing!
[QUOTE=''LJS9502_basic''][QUOTE=''Mikey132''][QUOTE=''LJS9502_basic'']I would not take any advice offered here were it me.....[/QUOTE]Trusting your fellow man is the first step you need to work on.[/QUOTE]I trust those that have the credentials......not forum users.;)[/QUOTE]lols, those are the people that mess up the head the most. You go in backwards and come out upside down.
fricken forum nazi douchers
[QUOTE=''LJS9502_basic''][QUOTE=''Mikey132''][QUOTE=''LJS9502_basic'']I would not take any advice offered here were it me.....[/QUOTE]Trusting your fellow man is the first step you need to work on.[/QUOTE]I trust those that have the credentials......not forum users.;)[/QUOTE]Seriously, I mean there are actually people here who claim to have never lost a debate. Talk about credibility...
lately, ive been 100% pro mods. But after reading that topic (the guy asking for advice) and seeing it had been locked, really started to make me wonder. Sure, the text was somewhat long, but the more info the better when giving advice. I really want a mod to post and explain the difference
I think his thread had a little too much life story, and not enough discussion. That said, it probably didn't deserve the lock.



If a thread like that doesn't deserve attention, the users can decide that by not responding.
cyclones suck hahahahahaha
[QUOTE=''warbmxjohn''][QUOTE=''LJS9502_basic''][QUOTE=''Mikey132'']Trusting your fellow man is the first step you need to work on.[/QUOTE]I trust those that have the credentials......not forum users.;)[/QUOTE]Seriously, I mean there are actually people here who claim to have never lost a debate. Talk about credibility...[/QUOTE]

I single handedly defeated the Nazi's and invented the internet, but you don't see me bragging about it all the time.
[QUOTE=''LJS9502_basic''][QUOTE=''Mikey132''][QUOTE=''LJS9502_basic'']I would not take any advice offered here were it me.....[/QUOTE]Trusting your fellow man is the first step you need to work on.[/QUOTE]I trust those that have the credentials......not forum users.;)[/QUOTE]

I don't think there are any credentials that cover some of the advice threads we get here
[QUOTE=''warbmxjohn''][QUOTE=''LJS9502_basic''][QUOTE=''Mikey132'']Trusting your fellow man is the first step you need to work on.[/QUOTE]I trust those that have the credentials......not forum users.;)[/QUOTE]Seriously, I mean there are actually people here who claim to have never lost a debate. Talk about credibility...[/QUOTE]

hahaha zing!

No comments:

Post a Comment