Sunday, April 11, 2010

I should know better than to talk to my mom about science...

I ask of you people only this: If it's too long for you to read, please leave. Don't leave snarky little ''TLDR'' comments. They're not appreciated.Bear with me. I'm trying to coalesce my thoughts here. Ok, so I'm watching The Universe on Blu-Ray, and I just finished watching the first episode which is about the sun. The episode ends with them talking about how the sun will die in about 5 billion years. I should have known better than to mention that to her, because then she goes off on how that will never happen, and how Jehova (my mom's a Jehova's Witness, btw)intended for the Earth to remain along with the sun indefinately. This always gets me. She seems to be oblivious to something called the life cycle of a star. It's a well known fact that stars die. What is our sun, but a star!Our sun, just like everything else is in the universe, is made up of matter. There is a definate amount of matter in the sun, and the sun is shedding that matter every second of its lifecycle as sunlight and energy. Even more matter is propelled away from it by solar storms and solar flares. Hydrogen atoms are being turned into smaller helium atoms at a constant rate, and because of this, the sun will eventually shrink into itself. Mathematically, it's been determined just how long the sun will last by calculating the rate of fuel that's being burned, and how much fuel (matter) the sun is made up of. My mom for some reason wants to believe in biblical mythology more than she wants to believe in plain, simple and very apparent mathematics.Now I'm not saying that just because we've figured out when the sun will die, we've all of a sudden disproved God. What I'm saying is that it's disproved the belief that the sun, and Earth, will be around for eternity. If you can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that there is something feeding matter back into the sun, which is constantly expending it, then ok, the sun and Earth will exist forever, but no one's done that. She wants to believe, based on her faith alone, that when this supposed ''Armageddon'' comes along that the Earth will revert back to its perfect form, before we humans screwed it all up, and that we'll live forever on Paradise on Earth, ''because that's what Jehovah intended''.I tried believing on faith.. but I'm too much of a logical person for that now. She even rejected everything else I suggested toher, like maybe God intends to start over again with a new solar system, or maybe He'll save the Earth by having a new sun snatch Earth into a different orbit. I was trying to present her with alternate possiblities of what He intended, because the bible is so literal and so open for interpretation, but no, she stood by what she believed that the sun will never die, because she read it somewhere in the bible. She vehemently rejected my idea that He'd start over again by letting the sun expand and burn the earth to rebuild it, because that would prove Jehova made a mistake. ''Jehova doesn't need to start over again.'' SO WHAT DO YOU CALL THE GREAT FLOOD! :| I didn't even want to continue on at this point. I just politey nodded my head, said, ''Okay,'' and went on my way.So what about you guys? Do you feel that the sun will eventually burn out, or will it stick around forever because of something we may have misinterpreted in the bible?I should know better than to talk to my mom about science...
Indeed, you should ''no''.EDIT: Sorry about the snarky comment. I'll leave a serious one once I read your post.Ok, real answer:Obviously, I think the sun will experience a super nova at some point. I think people such as your mom (no offense) are interpreting the Bible the wrong way.I should know better than to talk to my mom about science...
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
I see no reason to doubt the idea that the sun will burn out, given current scientific knowledge.I don't even know what the Biblical basis is for the idea that it won't...
I think yes, the sun would burn out in 5 billion years, but I think we would be gone long before that.
[QUOTE=''GabuEx'']I see no reason to doubt the idea that the sun will burn out, given current scientific knowledge.I don't even know what the Biblical basis is for the idea that it won't...[/QUOTE]I liked your old avatar better. :(But, I'll trust science over the Bible here. I doubt the Bible has any real basis for its claim...
Yes its a known fact that the sun will die out, but i heard the planets would get closer and burn up before that happened. But idc i'll be dead long before that happens. Also excuse my ignorance what are the beliefs of a Jehavo's Witness? I dont know much about that religion...if it is a religion...
Wait; what's the Biblical basis for the sun never burning out? It flat-out says that at the end of days there will be no sun or moon (Rev 21:23), for crying out loud!
[QUOTE=''chessmaster1989''][QUOTE=''GabuEx'']I see no reason to doubt the idea that the sun will burn out, given current scientific knowledge.I don't even know what the Biblical basis is for the idea that it won't...[/QUOTE]I liked your old avatar better. :(But, I'll trust science over the Bible here. I doubt the Bible has any real basis for its claim...[/QUOTE]i agree on two things here, bring back the old avatar, and trust science.
Gabu beat me to it (damn you! :evil: :P) but I'm really curious about where in the Bible it states that the sun and earth are supposed to be around indefinitely. :?
It seems to be that it annoys you that you're mom believes in her own cold, hard beliefs, yet so do you. I take eeverything fortheory, especially when tryiping to scop out very far into the future or the past. Thats because no one was around and no one will be around to have known. Who knows, maybe the sun will never blow up, maybe it will implode and cause us to slip into a worm hole in which we all perpetuate into an alternate universe similar to Army of Darkness.
I was always told by Jehova's Witnesses that people will be taken to a new planet when the rapture comes... Maybe they weren't Jehova's Witnesses...



Anyway, I think will burn out eventually. Supposedly, the entire galaxy will eventually burn out and be completely dark. That's a very sad ending :(.



Let her believe what she wants to. Neither of you will be around to find out when the day comes.
[QUOTE=''chessmaster1989'']I liked your old avatar better. :([/QUOTE]I like my new avatar better, so tough. :P
[QUOTE=''GabuEx''][QUOTE=''chessmaster1989'']I liked your old avatar better. :([/QUOTE]I like my new avatar better, so tough. :P[/QUOTE] Awwww....i miss it too...what was it again lol? Now i forgot...i know it was some kinda bird.
Even of the Sun were to burn out, there still would be life after death.I don't feel the Sun is any different than any other similar star. Billions of years is too long for humanity to exist anyways.
First I think you should get the Bible verse she's referring to just to see what you're actually dealing with. Two, of course the sun will burn out, all stars have a life cycle as you have pointed out in detail. Third, an argument over whether the Sun will never die or will die in 5 million years doesn't seem like it's really gonna accomplish anything. Concluding thoughts, I agree with you.
[QUOTE=''soulfood4'']Yes its a known fact that the sun will die out, but i heard the planets would get closer and burn up before that happened. But idc i'll be dead long before that happens. Also excuse my ignorance what are the beliefs of a Jehavo's Witness? I dont know much about that religion...if it is a religion...[/QUOTE]A branch of Christianity that apparently has believes viewed in the extreme as compared to other branches, such as how Jesus wasn't born in December, and how he didn't die on the cross, but on a stake. And also, out of all the other branches of Christianity, Jehova's Witnesses are the only ones to survive Armageddon. I dunno, i shouldn't comment too much what I ''know'' because I haven't practiced it in years, so I could get a lot of things wrong. If you're curious to learn more about them, just google The Watchtower, and it'll take you to their official website.

[QUOTE=''Theokhoth'']Wait; what's the Biblical basis for the sun never burning out? It flat-out says that at the end of days there will be no sun or moon (Rev 21:23), for crying out loud![/QUOTE]Go figure. She's supposed to be the expert. :roll:

[QUOTE=''zakkro'']Gabu beat me to it (damn you! :evil: :P) but I'm really curious about where in the Bible it states that the sun and earth are supposed to be around indefinitely. :?[/QUOTE]Yup.
Of course it will, the Sun isn't special. In fact there are much larger, more impressive stars out there. There are stars out there so massive that they could literally fit trillions of our own sun within them. And those are just the ones that we know about. It's very likely that there are more stars out there that dwarf even the largest that we know of. Not that you asked about size, but, uhhh.. Yeah..
All souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are immortal and divine.
[QUOTE=''JustPlainLucas''][QUOTE=''soulfood4'']Yes its a known fact that the sun will die out, but i heard the planets would get closer and burn up before that happened. But idc i'll be dead long before that happens. Also excuse my ignorance what are the beliefs of a Jehavo's Witness? I dont know much about that religion...if it is a religion...[/QUOTE]A branch of Christianity that apparently has believes viewed in the extreme as compared to other branches, such as how Jesus wasn't born in December, and how he didn't die on the cross, but on a stake. And also, out of all the other branches of Christianity, Jehova's Witnesses are the only ones to survive Armageddon. I dunno, i shouldn't comment too much what I ''know'' because I haven't practiced it in years, so I could get a lot of things wrong. If you're curious to learn more about them, just google The Watchtower, and it'll take you to their official website. [/QUOTE] Ohh alrite thanks, ill look it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment